Edinburgh, Scotland Climate & Temperature
- Edinburgh, Scotland, Uk is at 56°0'N, 3°24'W, 35 m (115 ft). See map.
- Edinburgh, Scotland has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Edinburgh, Scotland is situated in or near the cool temperate moist forest biome.
- The mean temperature is 8.4 degrees Celsius (47.1 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 11.3 °C (20.3°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype truly oceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 6.5°C (43.8°F) on average falling to 0.4°C (32.7°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 11.3°C (52.4°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 3.4°C (38.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 18.2°C (64.8°F) and average low temperatures are 9.7°C (49.5°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 12.7°C (54.9°F) during the day and lows of 5.5°C (41.8°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 668 mm (26.3 inches) which is equivalent to 668 Litres/m² (16.38 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 1384 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Edinburgh, Scotland you would come out nearest to the climate station at Macquarie Island, Australia where you would find a Tundra climate.
Edinburgh, Scotland Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Edinburgh, Scotland Climate Graph in Metric Units
Edinburgh, Scotland Climograph in English Units
Climate of Edinburgh, Scotland, Uk Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Stornoway, Outer Hebridies, Uk - 302.7 kms (188.1 miles) NW
- Kinloss, Uk - 183.2 kms (113.9 miles) N
- Dalwhinnie, Scotland, Uk - 115.7 kms (71.9 miles) NNW
- Tiree, Uk - 222.2 kms (138.1 miles) WNW
- Glasgow, Scotland, Uk - 64 kms (39.8 miles) WSW
- Malin Head, Ireland - 256.4 kms (159.3 miles) WSW
- Ballykelly, Northern Ireland, Uk - 250.1 kms (155.4 miles) WSW
- Belfast-Aldergrove, Uk - 232.4 kms (144.4 miles) SW
- Belfast, Northern Ireland, Uk - 233 kms (144.8 miles) SW
- Clones, Ireland - 313.8 kms (195 miles) SW
- Douglas, Isle Of Man, Uk - 214.9 kms (133.5 miles) SSW
- Dublin, Ireland - 339 kms (210.7 miles) SW
- Valley, Uk - 314.1 kms (195.2 miles) SSW
- Orkney Islands, Uk - 329.4 kms (204.7 miles) N
- Aberdeen, Scotland, Uk - 150.7 kms (93.6 miles) NNE
- Eskdalemuir, Scotland, Uk - 77.5 kms (48.1 miles) S
- Tynemouth, England, Uk - 166 kms (103.1 miles) SE
- Leeming, Uk - 223.4 kms (138.8 miles) SSE
- Hull, England, Uk - 320.5 kms (199.2 miles) SE
- Manchester, England, Uk - 297.6 kms (184.9 miles) SSE